Rendering A Pencil Sketch From A Photograph
By Screwie Louie
The Image you will use is located here. Just right click on it and "save target as".
1. Open an image in PhotoShop 6, preferably a photograph.
2. Create a copy of the background layer (Layer- >Duplicate Layer) and invert it. (Image- >Adjust- > Invert).
3. Convert image to Grayscale (Image- > Mode- > Grayscale) and choose NOT to flatten the image.
4. Set layer mode to "Color Dodge." This will at first make the layer look almost completely white.
5. Now, bring out some of the pencil strokes by applying the Gaussian blur-filter (Filter-> Blur- > Gaussian Blur) and set "Radius" to somewhere between 1.5 and 5.0 pixels. The pixel size is up to you.
If you set the "Radius" to a higher value, the image will look more like a pastel painting, rather than a sketch.
Your pencil sketch steps are now done!